Thursday, February 16, 2012

From lightbulbs to guns in three easy steps

Sometimes the people of Arlington like to use the list to voice their concerns about things.

"Walking home at night is a frightful activity and I am reliant on my neighbors keeping their door lights on because the Town does not keep adequate lighting on Park Ave. My street, Oakland, has better lighting than Park Ave. I fear that I will trip and fall because of the trees roots encroaching the sidewalk that I cannot see the variation in depth. That is also a legal liability for Town if I fall. Further, I don't know the crime statistics but I am afraid I will be accosted. I am constantly vigilant and fearful EVERY NIGHT coming from work. I use the bus services, the few that there are. Again, if the streetlights that re in place are working I doubt I would have these issues. I have worried about this issue since I moved here in June and am so gald it is on the radar. :)"

 NAME REDACTED

Some people offer helpful suggestions.

"Not arguing your point: but the new LED based flashlights are
small, safe, last a long time, and work wonders. I recently
purchased 12 LED flashlight that runs on AAA batteries, and
the light output is amazing. I think it was some $3 in
Rite-Aide.


Facts might help you with that worry. Check out that web
site I mentioned, or write an email to Chief Ryan and ask
about general safety issues. Nationally, violent crime rates
have been dropping for a long time:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/preliminary-annual-ucr-jan-jun-2011/data-tables/table-3

In the Northeast, the rates are largely dropping faster:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/preliminary-annual-ucr-jan-jun-2011/data-tables/table-2

It is not unusual to be afraid, but perhaps knowing the facts
can bring you some comfort.
"

NAME REDACTED

It does not take long before the discussion goes a little awry.

"It's amusing that some people think the town has to light up every
sidewalk and road or risk being sued because it happens to be dark at
night.

I hiked down Mt. Katahdin and the last 90 minutes were in pitch black. I
had a head lamp. It's a good thing I did or I would have had to sue
Maine if I tripped and fell down the mountain."



NAME REDACTED


Then the fun starts!

"I've found that a Walther PPK in .380 caliber provides both security and
comfort in almost every environment. It is light weight and compact enough
to fit in a jacket pocket. Even with the safety off you can (with proper
instruction and some practice) keep your hand on the weapon with relative
safety. This is owing to the fact that when properly loaded the weapon's
trigger is set to double action for the first round. This helps to prevent
an accidental discharge that could happen under stressful conditions. For
each subsequent round the trigger is in single action mode. Of course rule
#3 of safe firearms handling is: Never put your finger on the trigger until
your sights are on your intended target.
"

NAME REDACTED

Not to be outdone-

"I prefer a .308 Marlin with 4x scope.

Helps bring in the whites of their eyes a bit quicker and addresses both coyote problems: the 4-legged variety and the Jesse James types when they ride up on their mules."



NAME REDACTED


And that my friends, is how we discuss things on the Arlington list.

No comments:

Post a Comment