Friday, February 3, 2012

The raccoon ate your baby.

Lock up the women and children! There are wild animals in Arlington!

"For the last couple of weeks, the Hounds from Hell have been reluctant to
walk too far from home during their 5 AM walk and I couldn't figure out
why. I think I may have the answer.

Last night, about 8 PM, I spotted two *very* large raccoons scurry across
my neighbors' driveway, into their back yard. When I say very large, I mean
easily over 25 lbs., probably closer to 30-35 lbs. These suckers were HUGE.

So, those of you with outdoor cats and small dogs, be aware. And "lockable"
garbage cans are a must.
"



OMG! This lister has seen raccoons too! I think that the fear of wild animals might have affected this persons ability to spell.


"I go to work early and walk my dog at 3am. A couple of morning's ago I heard the stragest noise coming from in front of my neighbor's house. I was as courious as I was scared but I had to know! Crept around the cornor and 3 BIG FAT RACOONS playing in the middle of Pleasent st."

Dear god! They are breeding!

"OMG, those coons can have some real parties!  I believe they may be 
courting right around now."






Those raccoons have been known to kill people!



"When I first moved to Arlington 23 years ago, I had never been encountered by a raccoon. (being a city girl, I only encountered domestic animals). Every night they would come by my back yard and I would go outside and hand feed them.  Every year the mothers would return with their babies looking for my handouts.  Then I came across a possum and did the same with them. One day I wad told not to feed them as they carried rabies.  I was devastated as I really cared for them.  Well just to be on the safe side, I leave them food in the center of my back yard and keep my distance from them.  Not sure why I'm telling you this, but since we are on the subject of raccoons, I thought I would share my experience with you."

NAME REDACTED


Rabies- even cute animals can get it!

"Hi NAME REDACTED,

Sorry for your sadness.

I had a friend in Lincoln that felt as you did.  Fed a mama and her
babies for a long time.  Right up until they attacked, bit and scratched
her and she had to go through the rabies treatment.

Wild is wild.  She never fed them again."

NAME REDACTED


And finally, "I barely escaped with my life!"

"I used to think they were really cute...until I spent a summer as a camp
counselor in the mountains of NYS. I got cornered by a big raccoon one day
in a cabin and I saw it's teeth up close and personal. Let me tell you,
those are some razor sharp teeth! And they can be v-e-r-y nasty.
"


1 comment:

Jack Diederich said...

The first time I saw a raccoon in MA was mid-morning and it on the fire escape of my 3rd floor apartment. Being from PA I knew that any nocturnal animal out-and-about during the day must be rabid. I also knew exactly how to deal with the situation; unfortunately this is MA so I couldn't just shoot the thing.

I called animal control and described the situation. A couple hours later the guy showed up and asked if I had a broom. I gave him the broom and he shushed the raccoon off the porch.

Q: why did you let a rabid animal get away?
A: rabies is extremely rare in MA.
Q: You could have told me that on the phone .. after asking if I owned a broom.

Post a Comment